Related Degree Options
A unique program designed to strengthen K-8 classroom teachers' knowledge of mathematics content and assessment.
Need the Schedule?
Click on a course to the left to see the next time is it offered.
Bachelor of Science in
This program is designed to prepare you to teach secondary mathematics in public schools. Required courses include: mathematics content courses designed to increases students’ depth and breadth knowledge of mathematics, a course in math teaching methods where students learn research-based techniques for effectively teaching mathematics to secondary school students, and courses in pedagogy help you to learn how to measure and evaluate achievement of learning goals, implement technology into the classroom, manage a safe and comfortable learning environment, and interact with diverse learners.
Upon completion, graduates will be certified, with a level-4 Math Endorsement, to teach in Utah secondary schools.
Additional Degree Information
For Help Getting Started
In addition to the courses listed below, students must complete all university requirements, and have at least 120 credits in order to graduate with a bachelor's degree. Contact your advisor to dertermine what courses are needed in order to graduate.
Required Math/Stat Content Courses (39 cr)
- MATH 1210: Calculus I
- MATH 1220: Calculus II
- MATH 2210: Multi-variable Calculus
- MATH 2250: Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
- STAT 3000: Statistics for Scientists
- STAT 2000: Statistical Methods
- MATH 3110: Modern Geometry
- MATH 3310: Discrete Mathematics
- MATH 4200: Foundations of Analysis
- MATH 4310: Intro to Algebraic Structures
- MATH 4400: History of Math and Number Theory
- MATH 5010: Capstone Math,Stat, and Tech for Teachers
- MATH 5710: Intro to Probability
STEP courses (34-37 cr)
- SCED 3100: Motivation and Classroom Management
- SCED 3210: Educational and Multicultural Foundations
- SCED 3300: Clinical Experience 1
- Math 3300: Clinical Experience I
Methods: Minor or Major (Math 4500)
- SPED 4000:Education of Exceptional Individuals
- SCED 4200: Reading, Writing, and Technology
- SCED 4210: Assessment & Curriculm Design
- Math 5020: Math Cognition & Assessment of Math Achievement
- Math 4300: School Lab for Mathematics Teachers Level lI
- SCED 4300: Clinical Experience II
Methods: Major (Math 4500) or Minor
- SCED 5500: Student Teaching Seminar
- SCED 5630: Student Teaching in Secondary Schools
* Science Teaching Minors require two methods classes